Thursday, June 21, 2007

World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame

Last night we attended the 2007 induction ceremony to the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame. The ceremony was located on the campus at BSU. The reason we were there is because the Hall was honoring Eunice Shriver and Loretta Claiborne with its Founders Award. Joanie and I spent most of the previous evening with Loretta at a photoshot before taking her to dinner. We had a great time, Loretta is an amazing person.


There were three major inductees:


Kyle Petty

Kyle was inducted for his work with the Victory Junction Gang Camp which was created to honor his late son. Kyle was an amazing speaker and you could really see his passion for the camp.
(My co-worker Steve, me and Kyle)



Edgar Martinez

Edgar was inducted for his work with the Children's Hospital in Seattle. He was very humbled for the recognition.
(me, Edgar, Loretta, and Steve)


Dikembe Mutombo

Dikembe was inducted for his work in Africa. He has donated $15 million of his own money to build the first new hospital in Kinshasa, Congo in over 40 years. He is also really, really tall as you can see in the photos.
(me, Joanie, Dikembe, and Steve)
Doesn't Joanie look nice with her eyes closed? she must have been blinded by seeing Steve in a shirt and tie!


It was a great evening and something that I never expected could happen in Boise.

**Thanks to Laura for taking the photos. Check out the height difference between the two of them!!!**

6 comments:

scodad said...

josh meets Kyle Petty and I don't get a phone call??? I suppose my pit passes for Dover or Richmond are in the mail - right ??

Mister John said...

I saw Dikembe Motumbo at BWI once when he was playing for DC. You know they changed the name of the team, right? For years they were the Washington Bullets and they wanted to get away from all the violent connotations. So to change their image, they dropped back to just The Bullets.
badum-chi!

MsJoanie said...

Dad, it was WAY too late to call, but we'll be sending an autographed program your way real soon ;-)

And John, you saw Kareem. I was there with you.

T said...

Did anyone slap an hor'dourve out of his hands and then put their finger in Mutombo's face, waggle it, and yell "Not in my house!" in a vaguely African accent.

Unknown said...

You don't mess with anyone that big!! I did get him to smile when I screwed up taking a photo.

Kyle and Dikembe were both really great. Kyle is taller than you think race car drivers should be . . .

Sorry Dad he didn't offer any pit passes.

Mister John said...

It was Motumbo, trust me. He ducked under the overhead signs.